What are rodents?
Rodents are small pesky mammals; some species like mice and rats have learned to live with or near people, becoming somewhat dependent on us and the food and shelter we provide them. If you are spotting rodents or rodent activity on your property, the most likely culprits are:
- House mice
- Field mice
- Norway rats
- Roof rats
Are rodents dangerous?
Having rodents living with you and your family is not only unsettling but is quite dangerous. Mice and rats carry and spread many bacteria and pathogens through their saliva, excrement, and urine that make people ill. Hantavirus, bubonic plague, tularemia, and rat-bite fever are examples of diseases spread by mice and rats. When they are in our homes, rodents will contaminate food, surfaces, and other things that you and your family come into contact with regularly.
Several other reasons why rodents should be unwelcome in our Florida homes:
- Rats will travel along walls and furniture leaving behind grease and dirt marks.
- Mice and rats will use their sharp front incisors to damage things like boxes, food packaging, cabinets, wood trim, and flooring.
- Their chewing habits cause them to chew through wires and pipes, causing serious problems like short circuits, fires, and water damage.
- Rodents will feed on and damage fruits and vegetables in gardens and orchard areas.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Mice and rats are common invaders of human dwellings; they have adapted to living with people in rural or urban environments. In most cases, what initially attracts rodents to a property is the availability of food. Rodents have a good sense of smell and won't pass up a free meal!
Knowing where these animals like to forage for food is helpful and can help you maintain a property that is not as attractive to rodents.
- Trash cans
- Compost bins
- Fruit trees
- Pet food
- Outdoor eating areas
Where will I find rodents?
House mice, field mice, Norway rats, and roof rats are regular invaders of Lake Worth area homes and businesses. Luckily if a rodent infestation is present, it is typically only one type; multiple species of rodents rarely invade the same property!
Homes and businesses located in either rural or urban areas provide rodents with all the shelter and food they could possibly need. When rodents live outside near our structures, they often move their flexible bodies through small openings they come across while out foraging for food. Once inside, if there is food and quiet nesting spots, they often decided to stay and take advantage of the safe and comfortable shelter our homes provide.
Nesting sites that rodents repeatedly take advantage of in our Florida homes include:
- Wall voids
- Behind cabinets and appliances
- Inside storage boxes and other clutter
- Under furniture
- In attics or chimneys
How do I get rid of rodents?
Protect your property from disease-spreading, destructive rodents with the help of a local professional with a deep understanding of the rodents in your region and how to rid them from properties and keep them from coming back. At Above and Beyond Pest Control, we help home and business owners solve their rodent problems. We are excited to be leaders in the pest control industry and are committed to meeting each customer's unique needs through accurate inspections and advanced, targeted treatments. Our pest control solutions are effective in addition to being safe for people and the environment. If you live in the Lake Worth area, call us today to learn more about our rodent control solutions!
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
Don't let rodents move in and out of your Florida home as they please; put the following prevention tips in place to make your property unappealing to rodents.
- Regularly sweep, mop, and wipe down counters in your home to remove crumbs and other food debris from your home.
- To stop rodents from finding a reliable food source in your yard, keep lids on trash cans, pick up uneaten pet food, and regularly harvest garden areas and fruit trees.
- Thoroughly inspect your home's exterior, sealing any spaces that rodents could squeeze their body through.
- Repair roof damage and keep a screen on your chimney.
- Place screens over vents.
- Place weatherstripping around windows and doors.
- Cut back trees, shrubs, and other vegetation back away from the outside of your home.
Above and Beyond are really great. It’s always easy to get someone on the phone for questions and if you have any questions at all someone will come to your home within a day. They’re always professional, honest and responsive. I’ve been with them for 5 years and totally plan to continue on!