What are fleas & ticks?
Fleas are wingless insects, and ticks are arachnids; both feed on the blood of people and animals as their sole source of nutrition. Since fleas and ticks feed on blood from outside their host's body, they are referred to as ectoparasites. The hot, humid weather in Florida allows large populations of these pests to develop as both pests are most active when the temperature is above 70 degrees.
Are fleas & ticks dangerous?
The small size of fleas and ticks coupled with their prolific breeding habits make it easy for these pests to develop large, difficult-to-manage populations quickly.
Though you can't argue that fleas and ticks are annoying to deal with, they are also dangerous to have living in our yards.
- Flea bites leave behind red itchy welts on people and animals. Those that have a severe allergy will develop flea allergy dermatitis.
- Flea and tick bites can result in secondary infections developing.
- Pets heavily infested with fleas can develop anemia and hair loss due to excessive scratching.
- Ticks are vectors of serious pathogens, including Lyme disease, that can affect both people and animals.
- Fleas can carry and spread some diseases that can make people quite ill.
Why do I have a flea & tick problem?
While fleas and ticks certainly love to feed on the blood of dogs and cats, our pets aren't their only hosts. Fleas and ticks also feed on the blood of rodents and many wild animals. What this means is that it is not just pet owners that have issues with fleas and ticks.
When wild animals and rodents invade your yard or your house, they introduce the parasites to your property. After you or your pets come into contact with them, you can accidentally bring them into your home.
Fleas live successfully indoors and will also move from place to place in things like rugs, upholstered furniture, and bedding.
Where will I find fleas & ticks?
Fleas and ticks are going to be most problematic in areas where there is plenty of animal activity. The more hosts they have to feed on, the more successful they will be. Wooded areas, walking trails, fields, parks, and unfortunately, our yards are some of their favored habitats.
Areas where fleas and ticks tend to congregate in our yards include:
- Spaces under decks and shrubs
- Under leaf piles or grass piles
- In tall grass or weeds
Most species of ticks can't survive indoors and are mainly a threat in our backyards. In contrast, fleas are capable of completing their entire life cycle indoors and causing large indoor infestations.
How do I get rid of fleas & ticks?
Protect your property from disease-spreading ectoparasites like fleas and ticks with the help of a local professional. At Above and Beyond Pest Control, we help property owners take back their backyards from fleas and ticks. We are excited to be leaders in the pest control industry and are committed to meeting each customer's unique needs through accurate inspections and advanced, targeted treatments. Our pest control solutions are effective in addition to being safe for people and the environment. If you live in the Lake Worth area, call us today to learn more about solving your property's flea and tick problems once and for all!
How can I prevent fleas & ticks in the future?
Don't let fleas and ticks move in and out of your Florida home as they please; put in place the following prevention tips to make your property less conducive to flea and tick activity.
- If you own pets talk with their veterinarian about placing them on a year-round flea and tick prevention plan.
- Regularly cut your lawn's grass.
- Trim back shrubs and bushes, which may provide your yard with the shade and moisture these pests thrive in.
- Remove areas of standing water that may attract wild animals.
- It is also essential to remove food sources that attract wild animals, such as bird feeders, pet food, open trashcans.
Their service has been great. The service I had prior couldn’t get the weeds under control. We’ve had Above and Beyond for a few months and the lawn is looking much better. We said that we would like the lawn in good shape within a year and they are going to meet or beat that. Thanks