A Handy Guide To Subterranean Termite Control In West Palm Beach
April 01, 2021 - Termites
What is the most expensive thing you have ever purchased? Was it your home? Even if it wasn't, there is no arguing that your home holds great value and is something worth protecting. If you feel this way and are looking for ways to protect your investment against things that want to destroy it, you should know about subterranean termites. These small, invasive, wood-destroying pests are a huge problem for homeowners in Lake Worth. To help you keep these pests off your property, here is a handy guide.
What Are Subterranean Termites?
Subterranean termites are the most destructive and prevalent species in North America. What makes these pests so problematic? A few things. For one, subterranean termites breed quickly and don't stop expanding their population until gatherable wood sources nearby dry up. Another reason they are so problematic is that they eat the wood they've infested 24 hours a day silently, making it hard to identify their presence and allowing them to destroy structural wood unhindered around properties for months and sometimes years.
How To Identify Subterranean Termites
When subterranean termites invade properties, they do so quietly. However, there are some ways to identify these pests, both before and after they damage your house. Here are some clues to watch for:
- Pencil-sized mud tubes crawling up your home's exterior foundation
- Discolored walls, ceilings, and floors
- Sagging, water-damaged drywall
- Bubbling or peeling wallpaper or paint
- Overly-squeaky floorboards
- Tight-fitting doors and windows
- Bucking walls and support beams
One thing to note with termite identification is that most signs these pests leave behind come after they have severely damaged a home. In order to identify these pests before they destroy your home, professional equipment and assistance are required.
How To Make Your Home Less Attractive To Termites
Different properties attract termites in different ways. To make sure your property is as unappealing to these pests as possible, here are ten prevention tips to consider.
1.Eliminate sources of water that are touching wood on your property.
2. Repair or replace structural wood around your home and outbuildings that are negatively affected by water damage, rot, or decay.
3. Remove wet cardboard, newspaper, and other wood-based products from your property.
4. Clean up leaf piles, sticks, and other organic debris from your yard.
5. Cut down and remove dead trees, making sure to get stumps as well.
6. Use a dehumidifier inside your home.
7. Fix leaky piping and fixtures that are attributing to water damage.
8. Seal gaps and cracks in your home's exterior foundation using caulk.
9. Avoid using wood-based mulch around your property.
10. Create a non-wood barrier between your home's wood and the exterior soil.
Why You Need Professional Termite Control
There are many good reasons to invest in professional termite control in the Lake Worth area. We think the most important reason is to guarantee your home's protection. Another good reason is that homeowners' insurance doesn't generally cover termite damage, which means that if these pests destroy your home, you will be the one stuck with the bill.
For the absolute best termite control Lake Worth has to offer, turn to the experts at Above and Beyond Pest Control. We understand termites and work hard to offer premium services to identify, eliminate, and prevent these destructive pests. If you suspect your home has a problem, let us come out and evaluate your risk. One of our team members will perform a thorough investigation and help you decide on what to do next. Call us to learn more about our methods and find a time to have your Lake Worth home treated for termites.